NICE Framework Work Role Name:
NICE Framework Work Role ID:
NICE Framework Work Role Description:
Responsible for setting up and maintaining a system or specific components of a system (e.g. for example, installing, configuring, and updating hardware and software; establishing and managing user accounts; overseeing or conducting backup and recovery tasks; implementing operational and technical security controls; and adhering to organizational security policies and procedures).
- K0001 – Knowledge of computer networking concepts and protocols, and network security methodologies.
- K0002 – Knowledge of risk management processes (e.g., methods for assessing and mitigating risk).
- K0003 – Knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, and ethics as they relate to cybersecurity and privacy.
- K0004 – Knowledge of cybersecurity and privacy principles.
- K0005 – Knowledge of cyber threats and vulnerabilities.
- K0006 – Knowledge of specific operational impacts of cybersecurity lapses.
- K0049 – Knowledge of information technology (IT) security principles and methods (e.g., firewalls, demilitarized zones, encryption).
- K0050 – Knowledge of local area and wide area networking principles and concepts including bandwidth management.
- K0053 – Knowledge of measures or indicators of system performance and availability.
- K0064 – Knowledge of performance tuning tools and techniques.
- K0077 – Knowledge of server and client operating systems.
- K0088 – Knowledge of systems administration concepts..
- K0100 – Knowledge of the enterprise information technology (IT) architecture.
- K0103 – Knowledge of the type and frequency of routine hardware maintenance.
- K0104 – Knowledge of Virtual Private Network (VPN) security.
- K0117 – Knowledge of file system implementations (e.g., New Technology File System [NTFS], File Allocation Table [FAT], File Extension [EXT]).
- K0130 – Knowledge of virtualization technologies and virtual machine development and maintenance.
- K0158 – Knowledge of organizational information technology (IT) user security policies (e.g., account creation, password rules, access control).
- K0167 – Knowledge of system administration, network, and operating system hardening techniques.
- K0179 – Knowledge of network security architecture concepts including topology, protocols, components, and principles (e.g., application of defense-in-depth).
- K0260 – Knowledge of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) data security standards.
- K0261 – Knowledge of Payment Card Industry (PCI) data security standards.
- K0262 – Knowledge of Personal Health Information (PHI) data security standards.
- K0274 – Knowledge of transmission records (e.g., Bluetooth, Radio Frequency Identification (RFID), Infrared Networking (IR), Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi). paging, cellular, satellite dishes, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)), and jamming techniques that enable transmission of undesirable information, or prevent installed systems from operating correctly.
- K0280 – Knowledge of systems engineering theories, concepts, and methods.
- K0289 – Knowledge of system/server diagnostic tools and fault identification techniques.
- K0318 – Knowledge of operating system command-line tools.
- K0332 – Knowledge of network protocols such as TCP/IP, Dynamic Host Configuration, Domain Name System (DNS), and directory services.
- K0346 – Knowledge of principles and methods for integrating system components.
- S0016 – Skill in configuring and optimizing software.
- S0033 – Skill in diagnosing connectivity problems.
- S0043 – Skill in maintaining directory services. (e.g., Microsoft Active Directory, LDAP, etc.).
- S0073 – Skill in using virtual machines. (e.g., Microsoft Hyper-V, VMWare vSphere, Citrix XenDesktop/Server, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud, etc.).
- S0076 – Skill in configuring and utilizing software-based computer protection tools (e.g., software firewalls, antivirus software, anti-spyware).
- S0111 – Skill in interfacing with customers.
- S0143 – Skill in conducting system/server planning, management, and maintenance.
- S0144 – Skill in correcting physical and technical problems that impact system/server performance.
- S0151 – Skill in troubleshooting failed system components (i.e., servers)
- S0153 – Skill in identifying and anticipating system/server performance, availability, capacity, or configuration problems.
- S0154 – Skill in installing system and component upgrades. (i.e., servers, appliances, network devices).
- S0155 – Skill in monitoring and optimizing system/server performance.
- S0157 – Skill in recovering failed systems/servers. (e.g., recovery software, failover clusters, replication, etc.).
- S0157 – Skill in operating system administration. (e.g., account maintenance, data backups, maintain system performance, install and configure new hardware/software).
- A0025 – Ability to accurately define incidents, problems, and events in the trouble ticketing system.
- A0027 – Ability to apply an organization’s goals and objectives to develop and maintain architecture.
- A0034 – Ability to develop, update, and/or maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- A0055 – Ability to operate common network tools (e.g., ping, traceroute, nslookup).
- A0062 – Ability to monitor measures or indicators of system performance and availability.
- A0074 – Ability to collaborate effectively with others.
- A0088 – Ability to function effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- A0123 – Ability to apply cybersecurity and privacy principles to organizational requirements (relevant to confidentiality, integrity, availability, authentication, non-repudiation).
- A0124 – Ability to establish and maintain automated security control assessments.
- T0029 – Conduct functional and connectivity testing to ensure continuing operability.
- T0054 – Design group policies and access control lists to ensure compatibility with organizational standards, business rules, and needs.
- T0063 – Develop and document systems administration standard operating procedures.
- T0136 – Maintain baseline system security according to organizational policies.
- T0144 – Manage accounts, network rights, and access to systems and equipment.
- T0186 – Plan, execute, and verify data redundancy and system recovery procedures.
- T0207 – Provide ongoing optimization and problem-solving support.
- T0418 – Install, update, and troubleshoot systems/servers.
- T0431 – Check system hardware availability, functionality, integrity, and efficiency.
- T0435 – Conduct periodic system maintenance including cleaning (both physically and electronically), disk checks, routine reboots, data dumps, and testing.
- T0458 – Comply with organization systems administration standard operating procedures.
- T0461 – Implement and enforce local network usage policies and procedures.
- T0498 – Manage system/server resources including performance, capacity, availability, serviceability, and recoverability.
- T0501 – Monitor and maintain system/server configuration.
- T0507 – Oversee installation, implementation, configuration, and support of system components.
- T0514 – Diagnose faulty system/server hardware.
- T0515 – Perform repairs on faulty system/server hardware.
- T0531 – Troubleshoot hardware/software interface and interoperability problems.