Supervises, manages, and/or leads work and workers performing cyber and cyber-related and/or cyber operations work.
NICE Framework Work Role Name:
Executive Cyber Leadership
NICE Framework Work Role ID:
NICE Framework Work Role Description:
Executes decision-making authorities and establishes vision and direction for an organization’s cyber and cyber-related resources and/or operations.
- K0001 – Knowledge of computer networking concepts and protocols, and network security methodologies.
- K0002 – Knowledge of risk management processes (e.g., methods for assessing and mitigating risk).
- K0003 – Knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, and ethics as they relate to cybersecurity and privacy.
- K0004 – Knowledge of cybersecurity and privacy principles.
- K0005 – Knowledge of cyber threats and vulnerabilities.
- K0006 – Knowledge of specific operational impacts of cybersecurity lapses.
- K0009 – Knowledge of application vulnerabilities.
- K0070 – Knowledge of system and application security threats and vulnerabilities (e.g., buffer overflow, mobile code, cross-site scripting, Procedural Language/Structured Query Language [PL/SQL] and injections, race conditions, covert channel, replay, return-oriented attacks, malicious code).
- K0106 – Knowledge of what constitutes a network attack and a network attack’s relationship to both threats and vulnerabilities.
- K0147 – Knowledge of emerging security issues, risks, and vulnerabilities.
- K0296 – Knowledge of capabilities, applications, and potential vulnerabilities of network equipment including hubs, routers, switches, bridges, servers, transmission media, and related hardware.
- K0314 – Knowledge of industry technologies’ potential cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
- K0624 – Knowledge of Application Security Risks (e.g. Open Web Application Security Project Top 10 list)
- K0628 –
Knowledge of cyber competitions as a way of developing skills by providing hands-on experience in simulated, real-world situations.
- S0018 – Skill in creating policies that reflect system security objectives.
- S0356 – Skill in communicating with all levels of management including Board members (e.g., interpersonal skills, approachability, effective listening skills, appropriate use of style and language for the audience).
- S0357 – Skill to anticipate new security threats.
- S0358 – Skill to remain aware of evolving technical infrastructures.
- S0359 – Skill to use critical thinking to analyze organizational patterns and relationships.
- A0033 – Ability to develop policy, plans, and strategy in compliance with laws, regulations, policies, and standards in support of organizational cyber activities.
- A0070 – Ability to apply critical reading/thinking skills.
- A0085 – Ability to exercise judgment when policies are not well-defined.
- A0094 – Ability to interpret and apply laws, regulations, policies, and guidance relevant to organization cyber objectives.
- A0105 – Ability to tailor technical and planning information to a customer’s level of understanding.
- A0106 – Ability to think critically.
- A0116 – Ability to prioritize and allocate cybersecurity resources correctly and efficiently.
- A0117 – Ability to relate strategy, business, and technology in the context of organizational dynamics.
- A0118 – Ability to understand technology, management, and leadership issues related to organization processes and problem solving.
- A0119 – Ability to understand the basic concepts and issues related to cyber and its organizational impact.
- A0129 – Ability to ensure information security management processes are integrated with strategic and operational planning processes.
- A0130 – Ability to ensure that senior officials within the organization provide information security for the information and systems that support the operations and assets under their control.
- T0001 – Acquire and manage the necessary resources, including leadership support, financial resources, and key security personnel, to support information technology (IT) security goals and objectives and reduce overall organizational risk.
- T0002 – Acquire necessary resources, including financial resources, to conduct an effective enterprise continuity of operations program.
- T0004 – Advise senior management (e.g., CIO) on cost/benefit analysis of information security programs, policies, processes, systems, and elements.
- T0006 – Advocate organization’s official position in legal and legislative proceedings.
- T0025 – Communicate the value of information technology (IT) security throughout all levels of the organization stakeholders.
- T0066 – Develop and maintain strategic plans.
- T0130 – Interface with external organizations (e.g., public affairs, law enforcement, Command or Component Inspector General) to ensure appropriate and accurate dissemination of incident and other Computer Network Defense information.
- T0134 – Lead and align information technology (IT) security priorities with the security strategy.
- T0135 – Lead and oversee information security budget, staffing, and contracting.
- T0148 – Manage the publishing of Computer Network Defense guidance (e.g., TCNOs, Concept of Operations, Net Analyst Reports, NTSM, MTOs) for the enterprise constituency.
- T0151 – Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the enterprise’s cybersecurity safeguards to ensure that they provide the intended level of protection.
- T0227 – Recommend policy and coordinate review and approval.
- T0229 – Supervise or manage protective or corrective measures when a cybersecurity incident or vulnerability is discovered.
- T0248 – Promote awareness of security issues among management and ensure sound security principles are reflected in the organization’s vision and goals.
- T0254 – Oversee policy standards and implementation strategies to ensure procedures and guidelines comply with cybersecurity policies.
- T0263 – Identify security requirements specific to an information technology (IT) system in all phases of the system life cycle.
- T0264 – Ensure that plans of actions and milestones or remediation plans are in place for vulnerabilities identified during risk assessments, audits, inspections, etc.
- T0282 – Define and/or implement policies and procedures to ensure protection of critical infrastructure as appropriate.
- T0337 – Supervise and assign work to programmers, designers, technologists and technicians, and other engineering and scientific personnel.
- T0356 – Coordinate with organizational manpower stakeholders to ensure appropriate allocation and distribution of human capital assets.
- T0429 – Assess policy needs and collaborate with stakeholders to develop policies to govern cyber activities.
- T0445 – Design/integrate a cyber strategy that outlines the vision, mission, and goals that align with the organization’s strategic plan.
- T0509 – Perform an information security risk assessment.
- T0763 – Conduct long-range, strategic planning efforts with internal and external partners in cyber activities.
- T0871 – Collaborate on cyber privacy and security policies and procedures
- T0872 – Collaborate with cybersecurity personnel on the security risk assessment process to address privacy compliance and risk mitigation
- T0927 – Appoint and guide a team of IT security experts.
- T0928 – Collaborate with key stakeholders to establish a cybersecurity risk management program.